Delaware Licensure for Marriage and Family Therapists

Licenses in Delaware are granted by the Board of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals, which can be reached by phone at (302) 744-4534 or found online at  Application forms can be downloaded from their website.

The Two Types of Delaware Licenses:

Licensed Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (LAMFT) is for those who have completed an appropriate masters degree, passed the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Board’s (AMFTRB) national exam, and wish to work under supervision to accumulate the clinical experience required for the LMFT license.  See the application form for specific coursework requirements.  A Delaware LMFT, AAMFT Approved Supervisor, or AAMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate must submit a written plan explaining how the applicant will complete his/her clinical experience for the LMFT.

Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)for those who have met all requirements for the LAMFT and completed their postgraduate clinical experience.   Note:  LMFT licenses are currently (as of October 2006) only available via reciprocity.   The application process for those who do not hold another license is still being developed.

Obtaining Licensure via Reciprocity:


The application form for the LAMFT is the same for applicants who already have a similar (trainee level) license in another state and those who don’t.   However, applicants who have held a license in another state must complete an additional form entitled Verification of Licensure and demonstrate that the license is in good standing.

LMFT licenses are granted via reciprocity to individuals who currently hold an MFT license that allows them to practice without supervision (a clinical or independent level license such as LMFT or LCMFT) if

  1. that license is from another state* with licensure laws deemed by the board to be substantially equivalent to the laws in Delaware or
  2. the applicant has held the license in good standing for more than 5 years and has AAMFT Clinical Membership or a certification from another professional association deemed appropriate by the board.

Applicants submit documentation of current licensure in lieu of having to submit documentation of specific coursework and postgraduate clinical experience.   *Maryland’s licensure law has been determined to be substantially equivalent to Delaware’s, allowing Maryland applicants to qualify via option 1.

Taking the AMFTRB Exam (National MFT Exam) in Delaware:

In order to qualify to take the exam in Delaware, you must apply for the LAMFT License.  You should apply well in advance of the start of the testing window in order to ensure that you will be approved in plenty of time to register for the exam.  Exam dates can be found at

AAMFT Membership for Delaware Licensees

To apply for membership in AAMFT go to

Individuals who hold an LAMFT from Delaware may apply for Associate Membership via the licensure track by selecting Delaware from the menu under “I am working towards licensure/certification as a Marriage and Family Therapist.”

Individuals who hold an LMFT from Delaware may apply for Clinical Membership via the licensure track by selecting Delaware from the menu under “I am licensed/certified as a Marriage and Family Therapist.”